The American Schools of Angola
The mission of the American Schools of Angola is to develop and nurture proud well-adjusted lifelong learners; who are inspired to be extraordinary and to become successful culturally sensitive global citizens and leaders, striving for a better world for all.
OFFERING A MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAM
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PROGRAM K-5, OPENING IN 2019
BOARDING OPTION FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: IN CATUMBELA AND LUANDA SITE, OPENING IN 2019
At American Schools of Angola, you will NOT see desks in a row with students sitting quietly, bored and a teacher lecturing to 30- 40 students for 30 minutes. You won't hear a bell schedule or see a backpack full of heavy textbooks that must be lugged from class to class. ASA disrupts the factory model of education, instead opting for a student-centered model.
YOU WILL SEE STUDENTS:
- working on their computer; reading, taking notes and doing activities and assignments provided by our US accredited Calvert curriculum
- working individually, in pairs or in small groups.
- free to change classes and work area, get a drink of water, take a break or go to the restroom without permission.
- desks arranged in miscellaneous configurations to optimize individual learning
- attending video tutoring sessions, live tutoring sessions, and peer collaboration.
- utilizing learning tools like SMART boards, virtual reality apps and participating in interactive collaborative wall activities.
- asking their teacher for assistance whenever needed.
- morning and afternoon mentor check ins – aligning or realigning goals for the day/week.
- striving for excellence as only A’s and B’s are accepted.
YOU WILL SEE AMERICAN TEACHERS:
- and learning coaches working one on one with a student or with a small group of students:
- walking around the room interacting with individual students,
- asking critical thinking questions and checking for understanding on an individual personalized basis.
- readily available to answer student originated questions.
- monitoring individual progress
- offering enrichment activities to further learning
IN SUMMARY YOU WLL SEE:
- Students becoming self-advocates for their own education – making choices, goal setting, asking questions, developing time managements skills, self-monitoring behavior - with caring attentive teachers, within our technology enriched classrooms.
- A student-centered program in action.